Match #’s: 192516, 192526, 192527, 192530 (dual track)
Internship positions available: 4
Dual Track positions available: 3
Residency positions available: 3
Compass Health (formerly Pathways Community Health), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community mental health center, is a leading provider of behavioral healthcare services within the state of Missouri. A community based organization with a history that spans over 40 years, Compass Health serves numerous rural and urban counties throughout Missouri and Louisiana. With 42 satellite clinics throughout Missouri, Compass Health provides opportunities for Psychology Interns to work with a diverse client base.
In 2010, Compass Health provided comprehensive mental health and substance abuse treatment and prevention services to 31,729 consumers. Compass Health clinical programs are designed to meet the individual needs of each person and their family and focuses on the strengths of each person to facilitate achievement of goals. Services provided range from brief individual, group or family counseling dealing with issues such as depression and anxiety to long-term care and support for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. More specified services are provided at select locations with the Compass Health system. These include: Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Psychological Assessments (Diagnostic Clarification, Parental Capacity, LD, etc.), CSTAR (Adolescent Substance Abuse Treatment), Inpatient and Outpatient Adult Substance Abuse Treatment, Drug Court Program, School Services, FQHC (Federally Qualified Health Center), Program Development, Supervised Visitation for the Division of Family Services.
In 2012, Compass Health provided comprehensive healthcare services to 30,118 consumers. Services include individual, family and group counseling for children and adults, case management, a 24-hour crisis line and a full continuum of psychological assessment, evaluation, testing, psychiatric evaluation, medical detox and therapeutic services. Compass Health is licensed through the Missouri Department of Mental Health and accredited by the Commission of Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF), an independent accreditor of health and human services. Compass Health is also a member of the National Council for Community Behavioral Healthcare, and is currently participating in two national projects, offered by the National Council, to assist the organization with the enhancement of clinical programming.
In 2015, Compass Health served 174,892 consumers (9.9% of the population area). Almost 17,000 individuals received therapy services, and over 700 psychological assessments were completed. Of these consumers, 1,320 individuals received inpatient care, almost 80,000 people received early intervention/preventative services, and 1,671 received inpatient care for substance abuse issues.
Compass Health continues to maintain significant growth which has afforded the organization the opportunity to expand the array of services it provides and expand the service region it serves, which equates to a larger population being reached by the organization. Compass Health employs over 2,000 staff members including psychiatrists, advance practice nurses, psychologists, social workers, professional counselors, substance abuse counselors, case managers, and support personnel. Pre-doctoral Interns work collaboratively with these multi-disciplinary team members.
Compass Health is a member of the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) loan repayment program.
Applicants to Compass Health will apply to a particular location within the Compass Health system, rather than to Compass Health as a whole. There are potential opportunities for Interns to remain employed beyond their one-year placement. Basic descriptions of each of these office locations are available on the following pages:
View Compass Health Offices in a full screen map
The mission of Compass Health is to Inspire Hope, Promote Wellness.
Site Training Director
Michaela Beezley, Psy.D.
*Supervisor for interns at sites in Rolla, Cuba, Waynesville, Owensville, Salem, and Lebanon, MO
Dr. Beezley graduated in 2011 with her doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the School of Professional Psychology at Forest Institute. She completed her internship at Compass Health (formerly Pathways Community Health) with National Psychology Training Consortium. As a Licensed Clinical Psychologist she performs individual, family, and group therapy; interprets psychological assessments; educates individuals on navigating emotional, behavioral, and interpersonal instability through mindfulness, communication, distress tolerance, and emotion regulation; and facilitates multiple training workshops on relationships or substance abuse. Her research interests are eating disorders, health, and nutrition. Her theoretical orientation includes cognitive-behavioral therapy, dialectical behavior therapy, and motivational interviewing.
Current Internship Placement
Current Locations taking interns:
- Rolla, MO with possible secondary locations in Sullivan, MO
- Lebanon, MO
- Odessa, MO with possible secondary location in Raymore, MO
- Clinton, MO as a secondary position to Royal Oaks Hospital
More detailed information about these positions are available on their individual pages or on the Compass Health pages linked below.
Other possible locations (will be notified of any changes prior to match)
- Columbia, MO with secondary location in Jefferson City
- Nevada, MO with secondary location in El Dorado Springs
- Wentzville, MO
- Sullivan, MO with possible secondary locations in Rolla or Owensville
For more information about services provided at each of these locations see the links below:
Salary, Benefits, and Support
Salary for the 2019-2020 Training Year: $30,014.40
Benefits provided at this site include:
- 112 hours of PTO (vacation / sick leave)
- 24 hours of Professional Development
- Discounted health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- 401(k) with 4% employer match
- Cafeteria Plans for medical and/or dependent care
- Intern-funded life insurance
- Intern-funded short-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program (free short-term counseling for intern/family)
- Professional liability insurance (for those not already covered)
- Licensure Assistance program
- Mileage reimbursement
Compass Health observes the following 10 holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Personal Holiday
Interns at all office locations will be provided with access to support staff, office space, and technology needs. Compass Health utilizes both hands-on training as well as web-based training programs. The web-based training program offers a full training library for staff and interns to access as they are able based on their licenses/interests.
More information about the Support and Benefits offered in each of our regions can be found here.
Compass Health does conduct background checks on interns prior to orientation. The following document provides the full, detailed hiring policy for the Compass Health network:
Note these key factors that could cause the site to release an intern from match:
- Positive drug screen.
- Unsatisfactory background check where actions and/or crimes which prohibit patient/client contact pursuant to state law and regulations of accrediting entities.
- Found to be convicted of, guilty of, pleaded guilty to or nolo contendere to any of the following crimes:
- Physical abuse of Class I Neglect of a patient, resident, or client
- Furnishing unfit food to patients, residents, or clients
- Is listed on the DMH disqualification registry
- Is listed on the employee disqualification list of the Department of Health and Senior Services or Department of Social Services
- Failure of a specified professional to report suspected abuse or neglect of a patient
- Found to be convicted of, guilty of, pleaded guilty to or nolo contendere to any of the listed felonies in the following website: http://dmh.mo.gov/about/employeedisqualification/
- Found guilty or pleaded guilty to a violation of Driving While Intoxicated or Driving with Excessive Blood Alcohol Content and who is found by the court to be an aggravated (3 or more) or chronic (4 or more) violator.
- Found to be guilty of any felony drug offense.
Please note that a criminal background check that reveals an intern’s past alcohol or drug related crimes does not automatically release an intern from match. If otherwise qualified, if two (2) years have passed since the intern was convicted or found guilty and they are not currently on probation or parole, the intern is still eligible to be matched.
Intern Selection Process
At Compass Health, the Training Director and some of the supervisors review the applicants to determine who might be good fits for the various locations. From those they determine who will be offered interviews. They base their evaluation of the applicants on the following criteria:
- Did they apply specifically to a Compass Health site?
- Did they show experience/interest in the opportunities provided at that location?
- Do they have a Master’s degree?
- Do they have experience with chronic mentally ill?
- What are their preferences for internship?
- Are they likely to stay after internship?
After interviews are completed, the Training Director and Supervisors and/or Postdoctoral Residents involved in the interview process discuss the candidates and their qualifications for good fit with Compass Health to determine their rank for each location. Interns are to apply/rank any of the sites at which they are interested in being placed.
In order to reduce the travel expense associated with interviewing, all participating NPTC sites participate in a Universal Interview day in Springfield, Missouri. Interviews can also be arranged at other times and places and Skype interviews are also possible. Please be aware that on-site tours are not a part of this interview process. However, some sites may approve a site tour at a later date if requested by prospective intern. The ability or inability to attend a site tour at another time will not impact match rankings and this is not an option available at all locations.
Central Region Sites
- Burrell Behavioral Health Center
- Clark Community Mental Health Center
- Compass Health
- Family Psychological Center
- Greater Ozarks Rural Psychologists, LLC
- Ozark Center/Freeman Health Systems
- Royal Oaks Hospital