192511 (Burrell Behavioral Health)
192512 (Burrell @ CoxHealth)
Internship positions available: 7
Residency/Job positions available: 5
To form meaningful connections and inspire hope in our community through individualized and accessible care, quality practices, and collaborative partnerships.
About Our Site
Our mission is to make care and treatment accessible to anyone, meeting behavioral health needs when and where they occur. We do this by offering a full spectrum of care to create customized treatment plans that fit our clients schedules and lives, and by collaborating with their network (family, school, healthcare provider) to provide the best care for their situation.
We are a not-for-profit community mental health center that helps thousands of clients across Missouri and Arkansas. We have internship positions available in our Southwest Region (located in Springfield, MO). Burrell has established community partnerships, resulting in unique opportunities for interns who are matched at any of these locations. Our goal is to help you develop into a well-trained psychologist with skills in community behavioral healthcare, through appropriate and meaningful rotations and supportive/encouraging supervision.
Burrell has locations in 25 counties throughout Missouri and Arkansas and treats more than 40,000 clients each year, with continued goals of improved client. Client populations, while racially homogeneous, offer a unique training experience. Springfield and Columbia are the third and fourth largest cities in Missouri, respectively. These locations offer training experiences involving a rural mental health feel and encompass what it means to have diversity, and to respect and value diversity, within these areas. Areas also continue to be relatively heavily impacted by poverty, as evidenced by high Medicaid population and high free/reduced lunch proportions in public schools. We also see a growing Hispanic/Latino population and a growing older adult population.
Burrell Behavioral Health Center is a member of the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) loan repayment program.
Burrell provides a wide range of training opportunities due to its comprehensive continuum of care. The most common disorders treated across locations include major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, ADHD, and PTSD. Our administrative team, staff, and supervisory psychologists are welcoming and encouraging to interns and other trainees in a number of ways, including providing welcome lunches, regular professional socialization opportunities, and a generally supportive supervisory approach.
Please refer to the following pages for more detailed information regarding each of these experiences:
For specific questions regarding the internship program, please email us at NPTC.Applicants@
Site Training Director
Brittany Pratt, Psy.D.
Dr. Pratt received her bachelor’s degree in psychology from Ripon College in Ripon, Wisconsin. She obtained a master’s degree and doctoral degree in clinical psychology from The School of Professional Psychology at Forest Institute in Springfield, Missouri. She completed her internship at Burrell Behavioral Health and a postdoctoral residency with Midwest Assessment & Psychotherapy Solutions. Dr. Pratt’s clinical and research interests are in the areas of adolescence and emerging adulthood, school-related issues, and coaching parents and children through solving behavioral problems. She currently provides outpatient therapy services for children, adolescents, and adults, and is an administrative supervisor for a team of outpatient clinicians. Dr. Pratt is a board member for the Missouri Psychological Association and volunteers with community organizations.
Salary Benefits and Support
Salary for the 2022-2023 Training Year: $30,000
Benefits provided at this site include:
- 112 hours of PTO (vacation / sick leave)
- 24 hours of Professional Development
- Discounted health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Life insurance
- Health/Dependent cafeteria plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- 529 college savings plan
- Pharmacy discount
- Professional liability insurance (for those not already covered)
Burrell Behavioral Health observes the following 9 holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Floating holiday used around Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
Please note that available benefits and observed holidays are subject to change. Matched interns will receive full benefit orientations at their site which will go over all benefit information for the training year. More information about the Support and Benefits offered in each of our regions can be found here.
Burrell Behavioral Health does conduct background checks on interns prior to orientation. The following document provides the full, detailed hiring policies and potential disqualification for internship:
Note these key factors that could cause the site to release an intern from match:
- Found to be convicted of, guilty of, pleaded guilty to or nolo contendere to any of the following crimes:
- Physical abuse of Class I Neglect of a patient, resident, or client
- Furnishing unfit food to patients, residents, or clients
- Vulnerable person abuse in the first, second, or third degree
- Is listed on the DMH disqualification registry
- Is listed on the employee disqualification list of the Department of Health and Senior Services or Department of Social Services
- Failure of a specified professional to report suspected abuse or neglect of a patient
- Found to be convicted of, guilty of, pleaded guilty to or nolo contendere to any of the listed felonies in the following website: Disqualifying Crimes
- Found guilty or pleaded guilty to a violation of Driving While Intoxicated or Driving with Excessive Blood Alcohol Content and who is found by the court to be an aggravated (3 or more) or chronic (4 or more) violator.
- Found to be guilty of any equivalent felony offense.
Burrell Drug-Free Workplace and Testing Policy:
Burrell Behavioral Health has a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality oriented and productive work environment. Alcohol and drug abuse pose a threat to the health and safety of Burrell Behavioral Health employees, clients, and facilities. For these reasons, Burrell Behavioral Health is committed to the elimination of drug and alcohol use in the workplace.
As a part of the Drug-Free Workplace and Testing Policy, all applicants matched with Burrell Behavioral Health will be subject to the following required pre-employment testing:
- All applicants must pass a pre-employment / post-offer drug test. Refusal to submit to testing will result in disqualification of further employment consideration.
- Drug tests include (but are not limited to) marijuana, cocaine, opiates, amphetamines, and phencyclidine use.
- Applicants who refuse to cooperate in a drug test or who test positive will not be allowed to reapply/retest in the future.
Any questions about this information or the full policy can be directed to the Burrell Training Director.
Intern Selection Process
Burrell Behavioral Health reviews applications carefully with a team of administrators and clinicians to determine which applicants to bring in for interviews. The interview process typically includes at least four staff members (clinical and admin). Following all interviews, the selection committee convenes to share their thoughts and rankings of the applicants and a consensus is sought regarding which candidates to offer the slots. We typically look for evidence of good interpersonal skills and ability to connect rather quickly, previous clinical experience (practicum or other), and ability to provide reasonable answers to questions regarding theoretical orientation, evidence-based practices, etc.
Applications will be reviewed and discussed by multiple providers/supervisors at Burrell and Jordan Valley. Specifically, this site looks for individuals who are self-starters and driven. Applicants should also be able/willing to travel.
Interview Day Information
In order to reduce the travel expense associated with interviewing, all participating NPTC sites participate in a Universal Interview day in Springfield, Missouri. Interviews can also be arranged at other times and places and Skype interviews are also possible. Please be aware that on-site tours are not a part of this interview process. However, some sites may approve a site tour at a later date if requested by the prospective intern. The ability or inability to attend a site tour at another time will not impact match rankings and this is not an option available at all locations.
Central Region Sites
- Burrell Behavioral Health Center
- Clark Community Mental Health Center
- Compass Health
- Family Psychological Center
- Royal Oaks Hospital
- Truman Medical Centers