192520 (Royal Oaks/Compass – Dual Track)
192521 (Grant Funded – Compass Health IHC – Wentzville)
192523 (Grant Funded – Compass Health IHC – Columbia)
192524 (Grant Funded – Compass Health IHC – Nevada/Butler)
Traditional Internship positions available: 11
Dual Track positions available: 3
IHC Grant Funded positions available: 5
Residency positions available: 3
The mission of Compass Health is to Inspire Hope, Promote Wellness
About Our Site
Compass Health Network, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community mental health center, is a leading provider of behavioral healthcare services within the state of Missouri. A community-based organization with a history that spans over 40 years, Compass Health serves numerous rural and urban counties throughout Missouri. With 42 satellite clinics throughout Missouri, Compass Health provides opportunities for Psychology Interns to work with a diverse client base.
Compass Health clinical programs are designed to meet the individual needs of each person and their family and focuses on the strengths of each person to facilitate the achievement of goals. Services provided range from brief individual, group or family counseling experiencing issues including depression and anxiety to long-term care and support for adults with serious mental illness and children with serious emotional disturbances. More specified services are provided at select locations with the Compass Health system. These include: Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Psychological Assessments (Diagnostic Clarification, Parental Capacity, LD, etc.), CSTAR (Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment), Inpatient and Outpatient Adult Substance Use Disorder Treatment, Drug Court Program, School Services, FQHC (Federally Qualified Health Center), Program Development, Supervised Visitation for the Division of Family Services.
In 2017, Compass Health provided comprehensive mental health and substance use disorder treatment and prevention services to 178,482 consumers. Over 19,000 therapy services were provided, and 1,270 psychological assessments were completed. Of these consumers, 1,238 individuals received inpatient care, almost 64,085 people received early intervention/preventative services.
Compass Health continues to maintain significant growth which has afforded the organization the opportunity to expand the array of services it provides and expand the service region it serves, which equates to a larger population being reached by the organization. Compass Health employs over 2,800 staff members including psychiatrists, advance practice nurses, psychologists, social workers, professional counselors, substance use disorder counselors, case managers, and support personnel. Pre-doctoral Interns work collaboratively with these multi-disciplinary team members.
Compass Health is a member of the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) loan repayment program.
Applicants to Compass Health will apply to one or more office locations within the Compass Health system, rather than to Compass Health as a whole. There are potential opportunities for Interns to remain employed beyond their one-year placement. Basic descriptions of each of these office locations are available on the following pages:
We are excited to announce that NPTC in partnership with Burrell Behavioral Health and Compass Health have been awarded a grant supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) as part of an award totaling $1.8 million dollars. Interns will be placed in Compass Health FQHC offices in either Wentzville, Columbia, or Nevada, MO.
More information about these grant-funded positions in integrated health care can be found here: Grant Funded IHC Positions
Compass Health - Columbia
Compass Health - Columbia
Compass Health - Columbia
Compass Health - Rolla, MO
Compass (Dual Track) - Warsaw, MO
Compass (Dual Track) - Butler, MO
Royal Oaks (Dual Track) - Windsor, MO
Site Training Director
Melissa Webb, Psy.D. – Director of Clinical Training
Salary, Benefits, and Support
Salary for the 2022-2023 Training Year: $35,000
Benefits provided at this site include:
- 112 hours of PTO (vacation / sick leave)
- 24 hours of Professional Development
- Discounted health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- 401(k) with 4% employer match
- Cafeteria Plans for medical and/or dependent care
- Intern-funded life insurance
- Intern-funded short-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program (free short-term counseling for intern/family)
- Professional liability insurance (for those not already covered)
- Licensure Assistance Program
- Mileage reimbursement
Compass Health observes the following 10 holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
- Personal Holiday
Interns at all office locations will be provided with access to support staff, office space, and technology needs. Compass Health utilizes both hands-on training as well as web-based training programs. The web-based training program offers a full training library for staff and interns to access as they are able based on their licenses/interests.
Please note that available benefits and observed holidays are subject to change. Matched interns will receive full benefit orientations at their site which will go over all benefit information for the training year. More information about the Support and Benefits offered in each of our regions can be found here.
Compass Health conducts background checks on interns prior to orientation. The following document provides the full, detailed hiring policy for the Compass Health network:
Note these key factors that could cause the site to release an intern from match:
- Positive drug screen.
- Unsatisfactory background check where actions and/or crimes which prohibit patient/client contact pursuant to state law and regulations of accrediting entities.
- Found to be convicted of, guilty of, pleaded guilty to or nolo contendere to any of the following crimes:
- Physical abuse of Class I Neglect of a patient, resident, or client
- Furnishing unfit food to patients, residents, or clients
- Is listed on the DMH disqualification registry
- Is listed on the employee disqualification list of the Department of Health and Senior Services or Department of Social Services
- Failure of a specified professional to report suspected abuse or neglect of a patient
- Found to be convicted of, guilty of, pleaded guilty to or nolo contendere to any of the listed felonies in the following website: http://dmh.mo.gov/about/employeedisqualification/
- Found guilty or pleaded guilty to a violation of Driving While Intoxicated or Driving with Excessive Blood Alcohol Content and who is found by the court to be an aggravated (3 or more) or chronic (4 or more) violator.
- Found to be guilty of any felony drug offense.
Please note that a criminal background check that reveals an intern’s past alcohol or drug-related crimes does not automatically release an intern from match. If otherwise qualified, if two (2) years have passed since the intern was convicted or found guilty and they are not currently on probation or parole, the intern is still eligible to be matched.
Starting October 2021, all employees (including interns) will be required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine unless granted an approved accommodation. New employees must receive their first dose of COVID-19 vaccination prior to the 1st day of Orientation and receive their second dose (unless they received a one dose vaccination) within the first 30 days of hire. Reasonable accommodations for vaccine requirements are allowed.
Intern Selection Process
At Compass Health, the Training Director and some of the supervisors review the applicants to determine who might be good fits for the various locations. From those they determine who will be offered interviews. They base their evaluation of the applicants on the following criteria:
- Did they apply to a Compass Health site?
- Did they show experience/interest in the opportunities provided at that location?
- Do they have a Master’s degree?
- Do they have experience with chronic mentally ill?
- What are their preferences for internship?
- Are they likely to stay after internship?
After interviews are completed, the Training Director and Supervisors and/or Postdoctoral Residents involved in the interview process discuss the candidates and their qualifications for good fit with Compass Health to determine their rank for each location. Interns are to apply/rank any of the sites at which they are interested in being placed.
In addition to the NPTC Virtual Open House, Compass Health will be hosting two of their own Virtual Open House events. Contact Dr. Melissa Webb (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about these events:
Tuesday October 26st 11:00am – 12:30 pm (Central Time)
Tuesday January 11th 12:00pm – 1:30 pm (Central Time)
More information including the Zoom links can be found at their website here: https://compasshealthnetworkinternships.org/join-open-house/
Compass Health is strongly invested in ensuring both a quality training experience as well as the physical health and well-being of our trainees. Due to COVID-19, these are the changes that might be made to the training experience:
- Interns will be provided with any needed technology to work from home, including a laptop with a webcam, wireless mouse, etc.
- Client contact may include telehealth contacts utilizing approved platforms. This may include:
- Individual and/or group therapy
- Clinical/Diagnostic interviews
- Triage/walk-in appointments
- Primary supervision may also occasionally take place over telehealth, though is not intended to be the primary mode of primary supervision over the course of the year.
Compass Health also follows CDC guidlines for COVID-19 safety protocols. They have increased their cleaning protocols in their offices and individual providers are given additional cleaning supplies to keep on hand. Seating areas are set up for social distancing and masks are provided and required for all employees regardless of vaccination status as long as they are not in an individual office. Employee temperature checks have also been re-instated at many Compass Health locations. Interns with Compass will be providing both in-person and telehealth services from their office location. Please note: Compass Health Dual Track interns will be providing in-person services at Royal Oaks Hospital. As of October 2021, all employees (including interns) will be required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine unless granted an approved accommodation.
Compass Health reviews their safety protocols on a weekly basis and send weekly updates to all staff regarding and updates or policy changes.
Central Region Sites
- Burrell Behavioral Health Center
- Clark Community Mental Health Center
- Compass Health
- Family Psychological Center
- Royal Oaks Hospital
- Truman Medical Centers